Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:04:34 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        josh@ican.net (Josh Tiefenbach)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems/questions about boot blocks

Josh Tiefenbach wrote:

> I'm having some problems setting up my machine to dual boot between FreeBSD
> and Win98.
>
> Specifics:
>
> In the machine, there are two 2gig drives hooked up to the onboard ahc
> controller (its an ASUS P2B-S board). I've installed 3.0-RELEASE onto
> the first drive (ID 0), and I've formatted and sys'd the second drive (ID 1)
> with win98.
>
> Problem is, that no matter what I've tried, I havent been unable to get the
> machine to boot from the win98 disk.
>
> When the machine initially boots, I get the
>
> F1: FreeBSD
>
> prompt. Which is kinda odd, since I would have expected that the boot blocks
> would have noted the existance of the second disk. When I try hitting F5 to
> try to force booting off the second disk, I get a "Missing operating system"
> message.

It appears you have boot0 rather than booteasy installed on drive 0.
This doesn't display F5 (though it apparently needs to: a number of
folks seem to expect this).

The message "Missing operating system" is a standard Microsoft error
message.  It indicates that the FreeBSD partition manager *is* passing
control to the drive 1 master boot record.  However, standard Microsoft
MBRs won't boot from drive 1 only from drive 0.  So you need to put
boot0 or booteasy or something similar on drive 1.

> I *think* that I'm using the old boot-blocks, 'cause when I boot into FreeBSD,
> I get the big honking instruction message, and its honoring the directives in
> /boot.config, and firing up /boot/loader

Both the new and the old bootblocks do this.  One way to distinguish
them is:

    [Old]    >> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000 ...
    [New]    >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT

> Would using the new boot0 bootblocks help? How would I get them installed?

The standard way to install booteasy is to use a DOS program called
bootinst.com (or maybe bootinst.exe).  Anyway, it is available in the
tools directory on CDROMs or ftp.freebsd.org.  For boot0, there is a
simple FreeBSD utility at

    http://www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/boot0inst-1.0.tar.gz

that does the same thing.  You can also use sysinstall.

--
Robert Nordier