Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:40:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl (Frank Volf)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ahc error message

Frank Volf wrote...
> Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > The 'timed out while idle' messages mean that the drive did not return a
> > command before the timeout period expired, and there was nothing going on
> > on the bus at the time.  The timeout period for the da driver is 60
> > seconds, so if a drive doesn't return a transaction in that period of time,
> > something is certainly wrong.
> >
> > This indicates that the drive is "going out to lunch" for some reason, and
> > not responding to commands.
> >
> > There are several possible explanations:
> >
> >  - it could be a cabling or termination problem
>
> Seems unlikely. Never experienced problems with FreeBSD 2.2.6 nor with
> windows/NT that is installed on another partition.

Neither FreeBSD 2.2.6 nor Windows NT are capable of putting as much load on
disks as FreeBSD/CAM.

> >  - it could be your drive has buggy firmware.  What kind of drive is it,
> >    and how heavily loaded is it?  What was going on when the errors popped
> >    up?
>
> Yes, there was heavy disk activity going on at the moment the error occured.
>
> > Some firmware revisions of the Quantum Atlas II showed symptoms like that
> > under heavy load.
>
> ahc0: <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 10 on pci0.6.0
> ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

> da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <QUANTUM XP34550W LXY4> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 20.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da0: 4341MB (8890760 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 553C)
>
> Is this the quantum drive you are talking about? I have no clue how to
> determine the firmware version of this drive. Nor do I have a utility to
> upgrade the firmware. Sigh...

The firmware version is LXY4.  I had problems very similar to the problems
you're having with my Atlas II's (I have 4, unfortunately) until I upgraded
to the LYK8 firmware:

da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <QUANTUM XP34550W LYK8> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 4341MB (8890760 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 553C)
da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <QUANTUM XP34550W LYK8> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da1: 4341MB (8890760 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 553C)

Quantum has firmware upgrades and a firmware upgrade utility on
ftp.quantum.com.  (it seems to be down now)  You'll need a bootable DOS
floppy with ASPI drivers for your SCSI card to run the firmware loader and
do the upgrade.

You'll probably want to back your system up first, although I have done
four firmware upgrades, and haven't lost any data.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com