Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:09:48 +0000
From:      "Mikhail P." <miha@ghuug.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@deepcore.dk>
Subject:   Re: ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA

On Sunday 10 October 2004 08:59, S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:
> There is definitly something fishy here, since I dont have either the
> disks nor any VIA chips here in the lab I cannot do any testing here.
> However I dont know of any problems with the VIA chips in this regard,
> so that leaves the disks for scrutiny. One thing to try is change the
> tripping point where we switch from 28bit mode to 48 bit mode, could be
> a 1 off error in the firmware...

I apologize for bumping that old thread..
I have received both 200G drives (the ones that were giving me "adX: FAILUR=
E -=20
WRITE_DMA" on 5.2.1 system).
I have plugged both drives into running 4.10 system, re-formatted them to U=
=46S1=20
from sysinstall. After filling those drives with 180G of data each (files=20
ranging in size from 10k to 1G), I did a lot of load on them (e.g. transfer=
ed=20
data between other drives in the system, deleted random files, "dd", etc) a=
nd=20
those adX failures did not appear anymore (in fact, I'm running those drive=
s=20
on the file server for 5 days now, and there is no single failure/timeout s=
o=20
far - system has been very stable all the time on FreeBSD-4.10)

On the side note - I did changes to the tripping point as suggested above a=
nd=20
re-compiled kernel on 5.2.1 running system - disk operations dramatically=20
decreased as expected, but number of timeouts decreased too (per dmesg -=20
one-two timeouts in 3-4 days).

I should probably also note another interesting thing - on another system w=
ith=20
4 hard drives (20G, 60G, 120G, 200G) where I ran RELENG_5 for the past week=
,=20
timeouts and failures were appearing randomly under heavy disk writes.
That system had a mix of filesystems - primary 20G drive had UFS2, and the=
=20
rest of the drives were UFS1 (as they hold data, and I ran 4.7 on that syst=
em=20
half a year ago) - data transfer between interfaces was horrible, less than=
=20
8-10mb/sec, even when system was IDLE.
After re-installing system to 4.10 (no changes to hardware/etc - all remain=
ed=20
the same apart from OS), I don't see timeouts/errors anymore, and speed of=
=20
transfers between the drives got back to 20-25mb/sec, that's including that=
=20
system isn't IDLE.

There is also a third system with 2 x 200G ide drives and FBSD-5.2.1. Today=
, I=20
had to transfer approx. 160G of data from one of the drives to another syst=
em=20
via NFS, and unfortunately some files could not be transfered due to the sa=
me=20
ad1 failures as above.. I'm going to mount drive in "ro", to finish the=20
transfer.

regards,
M.