Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 00:04:11 +0100 (BST)
From:      Pedro Almeida <pedro@qui.uc.pt>
To:        markhaugen@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: RAID and UPS

On 09-Apr-2000 Ryan Kennedy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1.  I couldn't find much information on RAID support with freeBSD.  I am
> going to have 2 - 9.1GB Quantum Atlas SCSI 3 hard drives running RAID
> 0.  I origionally planned on using the Adaptec AAA-131 SCSI RAID
> controller, but I am not sure if it is supported by FreeBSD.  Is it?  Is
> there another type of RAID card you suggest?  There is a possibility in
> the future that I will also move to RAID 5 or 0/1.

FreeBSD 4.0 supports a few RAID controlers
This are the entrys on the LINT file:

# The 'dpt' driver provides support for DPT controllers (http://www.dpt.com/).
# These have hardware RAID-{0,1,5} support, and do multi-initiator I/O.
# The DPT controllers are commonly re-licensed under other brand-names -
# some controllers by Olivetti, Dec, HP, AT&T, SNI, AST, Alphatronic, NEC and
# Compaq are actually DPT controllers.
#
# See src/sys/dev/dpt for debugging and other subtle options.
#   DPT_MEASURE_PERFORMANCE Enables a set of (semi)invasive metrics. Various
#                           instruments are enabled.  The tools in
#                           /usr/sbin/dpt_* assume these to be enabled.
#   DPT_HANDLE_TIMEOUTS     Normally device timeouts are handled by the DPT.
#                           If you ant the driver to handle timeouts, enable
#                           this option.  If your system is very busy, this
#                           option will create more trouble than solve.
#   DPT_TIMEOUT_FACTOR      Used to compute the excessive amount of time to
#                           wait when timing out with the above option.
#  DPT_DEBUG_xxxx           These are controllable from sys/dev/dpt/dpt.h
#  DPT_LOST_IRQ             When enabled, will try, once per second, to catch
#                           any interrupt that got lost.  Seems to help in some
#                           DPT-firmware/Motherboard combinations.  Minimal
#                           cost, great benefit.
#  DPT_RESET_HBA            Make "reset" actually reset the controller
#                           instead of fudging it.  Only enable this if you
#                           are 100% certain you need it.

device          dpt

# DPT options
#!CAM# options  DPT_MEASURE_PERFORMANCE
#!CAM# options  DPT_HANDLE_TIMEOUTS
options         DPT_TIMEOUT_FACTOR=4
options         DPT_LOST_IRQ
options         DPT_RESET_HBA
options         DPT_ALLOW_MEMIO

and the others are:

#
# Compaq Smart RAID, Mylex DAC960 and AMI MegaRAID controllers.  Only
# one entry is needed; the code will find and configure all supported
# controllers.
#
device          ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
device          mlx             # Mylex DAC960
device          amr             # AMI MegaRAID

> 2.  I also was wondering if there is currently any UPS(unlimited power
> supply) managing software for FreeBSD.  I am looking at buying the APC
> 500 BackUPS.  Do you know of any administration software for this or any
> of the other UPS's out there (i.e. Tripplite).

In the ports collection you can find upsd.

/usr/ports/sysutils/upsd

you can gind upsmon too, but I think this one was designed specifically for the
SMARTUPS UPS from APC.

/usr/ports/sysutils/upsmon

> Those are my questions.  I am looking forward to your response with much
> appreciation.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Ryan Kennedy

Pedro Almeida                   (aka GoDfAtHeR)

E-Mail: Pedro Almeida <pedro@qui.uc.pt>
Sent on 09-Apr-2000 at 23:56:15 from godfather.???.net

Fortune: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
                -- Albert Einstein

PGP key available upon request

"Try to realize the truth... there is no spoon!."

    - A kid in the movie "The Matrix"

Next 5 years holiday plan:
                                        2000: Usenix & FreeBSD Conference
                                        2001: Russia