Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 13:36:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        randyk@ccsales.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSL Adapter Drivers?

In a previous message, David Kelly said:
> randyk writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a DSL adapter for which a driver has been written
> > for FreeBSD?
>
> Why would one be needed? Aren't those things cable-modem-like boxes
> with a UTP ethernet port? If so, use the ethernet card of your choice.
> And would probably need something like DHCP (see ports) for learning
> your IP address.

USWEST uses 2 DSL modems. Both Cisco, the 675 is external and comes with
an ethernet card for your machine and a crossover ethernet cable. It's
currently configured for bridge mode (PPP in the spring) and you get addresses
via dhcp. In ppp mode the 675 has a dhcp server.

The other is the 605, it is an internal PCI card. The only driver is
for Windows, although Apple is interested in making a driver.

I have both (I'm doing support here, or starting to), I prefer the 675,
since it can be used for multiple machines and OSes.

Also, the 605 is ONLY available buying it pre-installed directly from
Dell.

--
What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel.