Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:28:34 -0600
From:      Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting up many FreeBSD boxes at once... advice?

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 06:09:32PM -0700, BSD baby wrote:
> I'm going to be setting up 6 identical FreeBSD boxes at the same time.
> (Workstation boxes inside our office.)
>
> Each one with the exact same setup.  Same ports installed, etc.
>
> Anyone whose done this before have any advice?
>
> Should I put /usr/ports on one NFS share so I don't have to keep
> cvsuping the directories or downloading the source files?

Sure, or you export just the /usr/ports/packages directory. Then build
all your packages on a single machine (preferably one of the faster
computers), make sure that /usr/ports/net/clusterit is installed, and
run `dsh portinstall -P foo_port` or `portupgrade -P foo_port` as
necessary to keep the nodes identical.

Something like `dsh 'portversion -vL='` can work wonders in telling you
what needs to upgraded on your group of computers :-)

-T

--
Belief gets in the way of learning.
	Robert Heinlein