Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 2002 18:09:25 -0400
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        Tom Wiebe <twiebe@mac.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How good is USB Support???

Tom,

Rik's response covered the possibility of no keyboard/mouse use whatsoever
- and incidentally, his approach is a good one in a lot of situations. The
Apple iMac keyboard and mouse are explicitly listed as supported in the
4.5-Release hardware notes, found here:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/HARDWARE.TXT

Deviced that are listed there have been confirmed to work, though I have
not used these Apple peripherals personally.

Other points from your post I wanted to comment on:

At 04:51 AM 4/9/02 -0700, Tom Wiebe wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm about to make the big jump and start replacing our Mac OS 9 servers
>with FreeBSD Boxen. If only apple would release decent server hardware...

Incidentally, there are rumors of nice Mac server hardware in the near
future, but this is probably just vocalized wishful thinking passed off as
potential future product announcements. We'll see.

>If not, and I apologize for this rather basic question, are PS/2 keyboards/
>mice hot swappable or would I be risking frying my computer by switching
>them around. I haven't seriously used x86 hardware since before the 386,
>so I'm a tad out of date here.

PS/2 devices are not hot-swappable; you risk damaging your equipment if you
do this. Very little on the i386 is hot-swappable - serial devices and
parallel devices are about it. (USB and other new technologies excluded.)

>Oh, and thanks to Steve Jobs, for showing us Mac guys how cool BSD is!

MacOS X rules. :)

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM