Date:      10 Apr 2001 22:45:25 EST
From:      "Mark Sergeant" <msergeant@snsonline.net>
To:        Phelip Cray <phelipc@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doom

did you go into /usr/ports/games/doom or /usr/ports/games/linuxdoom ? As yes
the linuxdoom port is broken. If on the other hand you went into
/usr/ports/games/doom it should work fine and attrempt to download the doomsrc
etc n compile from there.
If you have issues still if you went into /usr/ports/games/doom then try
cvsupping your ports. You can consult the handbook on how to cvsup if you are
unsure.

Cheers,

Mark

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:44:42 -0700 (PDT), Phelip Cray said:

> Hello,
>
>  Ok, folks sorry for asking a question and not giving
>  details ...
>
>  here we go ...
>
>  pkg_info | grep doom
>
>  I get nothing ( which means there is no doom instaled,
>  right? )
>
>  then,
>
>  cd /usr/ports/games/doom
>
>  I get:
>
>   ===> linuxdoom-1.8 is marked as broken: Linux dynamic
>  linker problems
>

>  ok, before you ask, yes I am running Linux compat.
>
>  thank you for your clues.
>
>  phelip
>

>  --- Mark Sergeant <sarge@snsonline.net> wrote:
>  > Without the error message it is bloody hard to know
>  > what the problem is,
>  > reminds me of my days on a help desk, damned
>  > irritating. Anyway my best
>  > guess is it is complaining about not being able to
>  > run in anything but 256
>  > colour mode, if so change your X server to run in
>  > 256 colour mode if you
>  > need to play it.
>  >
>  > Cheers,
>  >
>  > Mark
>  >
>  > p.s. whilst I think of it you are really lucky
>  > anyone read & replied to this
>  > message, the guidelines state that you should at
>  > least provide a brief
>  > description of the problem in the subject of the
>  > mail as many (myself in
>  > cluded) filter messages based on subject. 1000+
>  > mails in the inbox a day for
>  > me at least makes it damn hard to work out if I
>  > should read a message or not
>  > based on ... "doom" .
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > > On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 08:41:05PM -0700, Phelip
>  > Cray wrote:
>  > >>
>  > >> Hello,
>  > >>
>  > >> I can't get DOOM to run on my freebsd box. It is
>  > a 4.2
>  > >> satable and I am trying to get it to work from
>  > the
>  > >> ports collection.
>  > >>
>  > >> I always get an error message ...
>  > >>
>  > >> does anybody have a clue?
>  > >
>  > > Well, you could try telling us the error message
>  > for a start..
>  > >
>  > > Kris
>  > >
>  > > To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
>  > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body
>  > of the message
>  >
>  >

If God is dead, who will save the Queen?