Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 17:46:47 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Empty /usr/local

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 04:27:51PM +0000, stephenc@attbi.com wrote:
> I'm kinda new to FreeBSD, I just downloaded and
> installed it last week and just about everything is
> going fine. I am trying to install some CPAN perl
> modules though and they seemed to install correctly but
> when I try to use them perl can't find them.
>
> I ran " perl '-V:install.*' " and a lot of variables are
> pointing to directories under /usr/local/*. I checked
> and I don't have anything in /usr/local/, the directory
> is completely empty. I'm somewhat familiar with Linux so
> it seems to me that this directory should have something
> in it. Shouldn't it?

Well, no.  The base system lives in /bin, /sbin, /etc, /var etc,
and any apps you install tend to go under /usr/local.  If you were
to install something from the Ports collection, you'd see it went in
/usr/local.

What does your @INC say?  And did CPAN claim to have installed your
modules correctly?  The standard Perl library get installed under
/usr/libdata/perl, so it's possible that CPAN put them there (I'm
not sure of this, though, so this information is provided "as is" with-
out warranty, blah blah blah ;-)

> FreeBSD 4.4
> Perl5
> Trying to install Net::Telnet

Just as an aside, try installing this from the Ports - it lives in
/usr/ports/net/p5-Net-Telnet

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \