Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 18:20:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        danj@3skel.com, bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

> > I have seen that OpenBSD is doing something with lfs, but I
> > am not sure what. It would be worth while to get lfs running
> > for sure; if you ever wondered, a lot of that disk bandwith
> > goes to filesystem overhead.
>
> Theo's words on lfs were essentially "I've never heard of it working
> outside Margo's lab", in a context which I read as "lfs is bogus".

I believe it works; Margo knows what the hell she's doing, unlike many
people who try to pass themselves off as FS experts.  There's really
comparatively very little real FS research going on in the world, and
I'd stack Margo up there with John Heidemann and the other Names in a
heartbeat.

I would also not be so quick to dismiss log structured FS's entirely;
they beat journalled FS's in terms of support for implied state across
multiple files.  Journalled FS's can only roll those kinds of transactions
back (not forward) following a failure.  Further, they can't support
even that without the ability to enable transaction tracking journal
events, exposing them all the way to user space so the program can
explicitly tell the FS about implied state.  That kind of blows the
reason for the implication in the first place.

Journalling and log structured FS's have their places in databasing;
but NetNews isn't the place.  NetNews is predominantly create/read,
with no intervening write accesses, followed by delite (expire).  Not
very impressive in terms of requirements.

Given functioning soft updates, there is little reason for journalling
at all... it only introduces unnecessary complexity.  Depending on the
boundry definitions, however, log structuring is still very useful for
fast crash recovery, atomicity of multifile implied state, and record
oriented manipulation of files (depending on the records, however, an
LFS may be subject to high fragmentation -- for instance, variable
length records, ala VMS, would be difficult to implement without needing
a real defragger).  The VIVA work on idempotence is especially relevant.

Again, news articles are created, written only once, and not updated;
there's really no reason to get more complex on a "newsfs" than doing
what you can to speed up indexing, etc..  And that can be just as easily
laid on *top* of *any* FS -- after all, the indices won't change
significantly either, if they have correct organizing principles, since
the data they refer to is invariant until expiration or creation.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---