Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2019 18:32:14 +0100
From:      Thierry Thomas <thierry@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [ARG_MAX] execv: Argument list too long

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

Hello,

[Repost from FreeBSD-questions]

I'm trying to upgrade the port french/aster to the latest stable
release. This is a complex port: it has no Makefile (in the upstream
tarball, but of course there is a Makefile for the port), and it uses a
combination of setup.py (Python) and a bundled waf.

At this point, it builds, but the latest step (linkage) fails with the
following message:

gfortran9: fatal error: cannot execute
'/usr/local/libexec/gcc9/gcc/x86_64-portbld-freebsd12.0/9.2.0/collect2':
execv: Argument list too long

Yes, linkage is done by gfortran, in a classical way:
gfortran9 (some -Wl parameters) (a very long list of object files .o) (a
list of several libraies with their paths)

but the problem is not caused neither by gfortran nor by the final
linker: if I execute the same command line manually from my shell, it
succeeds and the aster program is built.

So I guess that the problem is caused partly by the arguments list, but
also by the environment variables brought by the build system.

On my machine, `getconf ARG_MAX' returns 262144.

Is there a way to increase this value dynamically? Any idea?

Thanks for reading!
--=20
Th. Thomas.

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm