Date:      Thu, 20 Oct 2016 22:12:26 +0200
From:      Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nightly disk-related panic since upgrade to 10.3

Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Last week I upgraded a 9.3/amd64 box to 10.3: since then, it crashed and
> rebooted at least once every night.

Hi,

   I have quite similar issue, crash dumps every night, but then my
stacktrace is different (crashing mostly in cam/scsi/scsi.c), and my
env is also quite different (old i386, individual disks, extensive use
of ZFS), so here is very likely a different reason. Also here the
upgrade is not the only change, I also replaced a burnt powersupply
recently and added an SSD cache.
Basically You have two options: A) fire up kgdb, go into the code and
try and understand what exactly is happening. This depends
if You have clue enough to go that way; I found "man 4 gdb" and
especially the "Debugging Kernel Problems" pdf by Greg Lehey quite
helpful.
B) systematically change parameters. Start by figuring from the logs
the exact time of crash and what was happening then, try to reproduce
that. Then change things and isolate the cause.

Having a RAID controller is a bit ugly in this regard, as it is more
or less a blackbox, and difficult to change parameters or swap
components.

> The only exception was on Friday, when it locked without rebooting: it
> still answered ping request and logins through HTTP would half work; I'm
> under the impression that the disk subsystem was hung, so ICMP would
> work since it does no I/O and HTTP too worked as far as no disk access
> was required.

Yep. That tends to happen. It doesnt give much clue, except that there
is a disk related problem.