Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:53:33 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall rules causing SSH disconects?

Trevin Chow writes:
> At 07:48 PM 4/10/2001 -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> >The thing to check is probably whether the connection is being shut
> >down by the other side (with a FIN or RST), by a lack of ACKs coming
> >back, or for some reason internal to your own host.
>
> I doubt the remote side is causing the problems, as I"m able to connect to
> other remote hosts okay with the same SSH client.  FWIW, the client is a
> Windows 2K box using SecureCRT.  However, I get the same behaviour out of a
> simple ssh connection from my University's Solaris boxes.
>
> It seems that everything points to my actual server being the problem, but
> I can't figure out for the life of me what it might be.  Considering I'm
> now runnign a completely open firewall (allow ip from any to any), I think
> I've completely eliminated the possibility of a firewall rule causing
> this... I'm open to field any other possibilties.

What is the length of time involved?

You say you have replicated the problem from both W2K and Solaris
clients but I'm still curious as to what is between those systems and
your FreeBSD system. Guessing the FreeBSD system is at home on DSL or
cable modem? A number of ISPs have what are supposed to be transparent
caches between their users and the internet. Sometimes they really are
transparent. Sometimes not. A friend had a heck of a time with ftp and
ssh into his home computer on @home, then magically one day the
problems disappeared.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net