Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 19:32:35 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Apache 1.3.x log rotation

Hi folks,

I process my Apache 1.3.x log files to record unique hits from
individual site guests.

I'm trying to use newsyslog(8) to rotate this log file, but it seems
that httpd stops logging to httpd-access.log as soon as rotation occurs.

Do I need to use newsyslog(8)'s path_to_pid_file feature to send a
SIGHUP to the parent httpd, or should I rather configure httpd to log
via syslog(3) in the first place?

I'm pretty sure both methods will work, but I'd like to hear from folks
who've actually used one or both methods and have a preference for one.

Ciao,
Sheldon.