Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:25:17 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
Cc:        Danny <eyezonme@gmx.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smmsp

mpd wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 05:12:19PM -0400, Danny wrote:
>
>>I just did a cvsup/make world, and the system halted while beginning to
>>install the freshly built src because of the lack of user 'smmsp'. After
>>creating the user (and group of the same name) things went fine, but I'm
>>curious as to what the purpose of this username is, and why the install
>>didn't create the user on its own. Thanks
>>

> The install does create the user if you run mergemaster in the
> correct step. This is all in /usr/src/UPDATING. It should
> probably be in the FAQ, seeing as this question has been asked
> a *bunch* in the past few weeks.

Not quite true. The instructions in UPDATING are the following

         To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
         4.x-STABLE
         ----------
         make buildworld
         make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
         make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
         reboot  (in single user) [1]
         make installworld
         mergemaster             [2]
         reboot

And smmsp will not be added until after the installworld, which won't
complete because smmsp is missing.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart