Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:43:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Obi Wan Oblivion <vdk@chaosphere.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -stable: SB Pro + PnP / IRQs

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Obi Wan Oblivion wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a PnP ISA sound card running (by default) in SoundBlaster Pro mode
> on IRQ 5, DMA 1, and port 0x220.  I am running 2.2-STABLE, built March
> 15th.  I have added the following lines to my kernel config:
>
> controller      pnp0
>
> controller      snd0
> device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
> options         SBC_IRQ=5
>
> rebuilt the kernel, rebooted, and ran:
>
> # cd /dev
> # ./MAKEDEV snd0

You should be using the pcm driver instead.  If it's not in that revision
of -STABLE upgrade to 2.2.6-RELEASE.

> Also, on another note, I originally had my modem set up on irq 5, but when
> I installed my sound card, the modem failed to be detected.  I ended up
> swapping the modem over to irq 3 (stolen from a disabled sio1) and it
> works fine. Now, however, X periodically hangs and then two or
> three seconds later it merrily marches on, all the while spewing something
> about "Cirrus: BitBLT eating itself" or words to that effect.  This is
> especially evident when doing work in an xterm.  What might I do to
> correct this?  Is this as simple as throwing an "Option 'no_bitblt'" into
> /etc/XF86Config?

Possibly.  Odd that sio1 would be conflicting with the video; it's usually
COM4.  Could be a bug in the video's BIOS too.

>  Is there a way to correct this without disabling
> features?  Am I correct in assuming that this is an irq conflict?

It's an improper configuration. Your modem probably isn't being PnP
config'd either, if it requires it.