Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:45:00 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mauro Dias <mribeiro@techlinux.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and natd

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 11:13:02PM -0200, Mauro Dias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using natd and ipfw to allow my intranet (192.168.0.0/24) to access
> internet.
> internet interface: rl2
> intranet interface rl1
> not using interface: rl0 (hehe)
>
> I'm using FreeBSD-4.5RC
>
> can someone tell how do i see what users in 192.168.0.0/24 are doing ?
> something like netstat -M ?
> i tryed sockstat, netstat,

None of those will work since your machine is not the endpoint of any
of the connections. It does not keep track of any of the transport
layer stuff. It just forwards IP datagrams not knowing or caring about
how they relate to one another (well, natd(8) does a little of course).

> readed the natd manpage ipfw manpage and i didn't
> found nothing ...

If you are using keep-state rules in the firewall, you can see the
current dynamic rules using the '-d' option. Also have a look at '-e'
for some recent history.

> PS: if freebsd do not support this I'll do the best of myself to implement
> that.

natd(8) could/should (depending who you ask) have this type of
ability, but at present it does not. Various ports can track this kind
of thing. None that I would specifically recommend. The ipstat(8)
command with IP Filter is actually kind of nice, but that would mean
changing you configuration quite a bit.