Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 23:28:58 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pine "on hold" when sending (anyone ever have this problem)

> I am not really sure if this is a Pine issue, FreeBSD issue, or a Postfix
> issue.  Our organization has 10 or so users running Pine (4.21) on a
> FreeBSD v3.4-STABLE box under Postfix.  Every once in awhile, when someone
> sends a message, Pine will sit there on "Sending"... anywhere from 5-15
> minutes.  Looking at the maillogs, Postfix grabbed the message and sent it
> to the messages final destination all within 15 seconds.  So why would Pine
> just sit there "on hold" waiting?  (It happens sporadically at best (once
> or twice a day), enough to be an annoyance)

I have no clue about it, but would like to know the answer. The same
thing happens on a linux box we have (Red Hat 6.0) running the stock
sendmail.  It seems to happen most when there's a network problem and
the nameserver / the mail relay upstream can't be contacted. It
doesn't happen with elm or mutt on the same box.  It doesn't happen
with pine on other boxes on the same network running linux/freebsd and
qmail.  I don't think it happened on the freebsd box when it was
running sendmail, but that was ages ago and I'm not sure now.  I had
assumed that it was a problem with the sendmail config on the above
mentioned box (it's waiting for host lookups to timeout, or something)
and I've been suggesting to the administrator of that box to switch to
qmail, since at least it's easy to configure.