Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:51:15 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to control address used by INADDR_ANY?

Brett Glass wrote:
> At 03:15 PM 4/19/2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >INADDR_ANY means "I don't care".  FreeBSD's "I don't care" is a
> >bit different in implementation than Cisco's "I don't care".  8-(.
>
> I think it really means, "I don't care, but I want it to work!" ;-)
>
> I don't think, for example, that the stack would pick an address
> from an interface that was not up, or from a loopback interface
> (more in my other message about this).

No; it couldn't.  That's an artifact of the routing code not
returning a route to the source of the connection establishment
(for inbound connections) or the interface capable of reaching
the destination (for the outbound).

> So, maybe what's needed is a "don't choose this one" flag....

If you are going to do something this God-Awful-Hackish(tm),
then you should just use tun0, set the same IP ad on one of
the externally routable interfaces, and then set the default
route to go through the tunnel.

It's fugly, but at this point it's pretty obvious that what you
want is a working hack, not correct code.  8-|.

-- Terry