Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:00:05 +0100
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HD problems

Hi,

last night all of a sudden my box halted, without panicing or
rebooting.
After pressing the reset-key, it came back up, and didn't manage
to finish fscking a partition on an IDE-disk of mine. Phases 1-4
of fsck passed as normal, but then I got the following
errormessages:

** Phase 5 - Check Cyl Groups
wd1: interrupt timeout:
wd1: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
wd1: interrupt timeout:
wd1: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>

the last 4 lines being repeated every 30s or so.

At this point fsck seemed to repeatedly try to access the same
part of the disk over and over again without ever timeouting or
stopping.
I watched this for about 10 minutes, then rebooted again, booted
in singleuser-mode, removed the appropriate entry from my
/etc/fstab (luckily this happened on no 'vital' disk) and booted
again.

bad144 -s -v wd1 behaved very similar to fsck, from the sounds the
disk made, I would say that it tried to access one part of the
disk over and over again.
I haven't freed up enough space to try dd'ing the disk into a
file, then mounting it via a vnode, to at least partially save
some data, but I hope to achieve this later on tonight.
Is there anything else I'm able to do to fix the disk (at least
to get to know which parts of it are broken, mark the bad sectors
and then do a fsck over the rest or something alike) or can I
just hope that the dd will save some of the data ?

--
bye, logix

<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet