Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:15:42 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        goodleaf <john@home.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: In re: Certifications (long and rambling)

Now this is a money-making opportunity if I ever saw one, also a great
chance to promote FreeBSD and other *nixes in general and help launch
promising careers.

Gather all ye *nix experts and runneth a Certification course. Do it by
internet, setting up a server to deal with issuing course material and
tests upon credit-card payments should be a trivial task. Ensure true
qualification as opposed to possibly pooled knowledge by requiring
graduate candidates to take the finals in person at varied convenient
sites.

I am not being facetious, I would be one of the first to apply. I would
help implement it myself except for the catch-22. I need to learn the
system to help set up the course so I can learn the system.......

Revenues would be used to re-imburse people involved in the project to
a certain extent (we mostly are volunteers, have I heard that somewhere
from time to time?), maintain course servers and help promote the
further development of the involved OS's.

Hey, it's just a vagrant thought I had. I should learn to discipline my
thinking a little better.....

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment,
goodleaf wrote: > I realize I risk extreme sanction here, but:

> I have known several certified idiots, but on the other hand I've actually
> taken a short cert course in programming basics, and I have to say I
> learned quite a bit. (A vast improvement over the absolutely nothing I
> knew prior.) Of course this doesn't qualify me as a software engineer, but
> I can do a bit in C and Perl.
>
> This was at the University of Washington, which AFAIK, does a lot of work
> to ensure their cert courses are somewhat rigorous. I think that cert
> courses in principle are a tremendously good idea, particularly where the
> course teaches basic skills to people who don't know much about the
> subject at hand, but who have some education in other things. Clearly,
> it's not as good as a full computer science degree, but for people like
> me, reasonably intelligent people who already have an education (I have
> two degrees already.) a certification course is a Good Thing.
>
> The problem with cert courses as they exist in most places is that they're
> extremely poorly implemented and not held to any particular academic
> standard. But this is not an absolute; there are good cert courses, so
> I think the knee-jerk prejudice against certification that I see among
> UNIX folk is misplaced and unproductive. What would be nice is a
> pooling of what we know. Which specific courses are bad? Which schools
> are turning out too many idiots?
>
> I'd very much like to see a good FreeBSD cert course out there. If it's
> well done, it would teach me a lot and pad my resume. Both things are
> good.
>
> I may take the UW's Unix Administration cert course. I'll let you know how
> it goes.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Walter Brameld

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.