Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:36:16 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba 34 + LDAP = hang?

--nextPart2878099.aYGH9BadTc

Hi,
I tried updating Samba to 3.4 (from 3.3) as libsmbclient uses it and=20
that pulls in talloc which conflicts with 3.3..

Unfortunately when I tried it, it hung when I tried to use the ldap=20
passdb backend. I could not really get any useful debugging out of it
:(

The stack trace is junk (even after enabling max debug) and running=20
with..
sudo /usr/local/sbin/smbd -d 10 -F -S

Showed stuff but nothing related to LDAP (except mentioning the line in=20
the config) and it still hung after saying it was going to daemonise=20
itself.

It hung not using any CPU but it hadn't yet opened any TCP listen=20
sockets - however it did have a socket to the LDAP server open.

Does anyone actually use this combination on FreeBSD?

I have had various annoying issues with LDAP (eg slapd crashing when=20
it's not shut down cleanly, various frustrations getting it setup etc)=20
but I haven't come across this bug before.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum