Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:07:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, randall@ucsb.edu
Subject:   RE: compact flash use

Randall,
I took a look at the adapter, and it appears to support multiple formats.
This could be the source of your problem. I use a much simpler CF -> IDE
adapter for programming FreeBSD images to CF devices for use in embedded
systems. My adapter has an IDE header, CF slot and LED - that's it. CF
devices can operate in true ATA mode. Perhaps your adapter is operating it
in some other mode?

Anyway, I have a copy of FreeBSD 4.7R booting from a CF card. I even NFS
mounted the kernel source, and installed a new kernel last night. IOW - it
should work. If it doesn't, I would tend to suspect your adapter. Unless
you really need the other formats, I would go for an adapter that operates
the CF device as a true ATA device. I got mine from Mesa.

One thing to note, CF is not terribly fast. On my systems, it shows up as
PIO1. It is also possible that the controller is getting hosed because
your system is sending data too fast.

Good luck,
Seth Henry