Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:16:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        platforms@FreeBSD.org, dyson@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/MIPS anybody

Warner Losh stands accused of saying:
> Are there people other than myself that are interested in getting FreeBSD
> running on MIPS machines?  They made a bunch of different ones: DECstations,
> ARC BIOS PCs, SGI boxes, old pre SGI-MIPS hardware, Sony's NEWS and likely
> a dozen others that I've not been able to recall.  I have an ARC BIOS MIPS
> PC that I'd love to have FreeBSD running on, but don't really want to do
> the MIPS port by myself.  Anybody else out there with disk space to burn,
> and old MIPS hardware?

You know about me already, so this is just for general reference; I
have a couple of old Mips (BE) systems and documentation of varying
degrees and an IPC if the FreeBSD-sparc people are interested.

What strikes me as the biggest real problem is the highly
x86-optimised VM, and along with that perhaps the blurring of MI/MD
code in the FreeBSD kernel.

I've been studying the NetBSD code for a little while now, and it
strikes me just how much of the VM seems to be replicated from one
architecture to the next.  Is this really necessary?  How much of
the FreeBSD VM is actually x86-specific, and how much could
reasonably be moved out and reused by other architectures?