Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:41:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AC97

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Dale Morris wrote:

> I'm trying to get my sound card working in a new install of 4.6 and it's
> an onboard chip on a MSI 6309 LE2 mainboard. I've read the handbook and
> I'm still confused about how to get this card working.
>
> Can I just insert the proper module by doing:
>
> root# kldload AC97**module.so (or whatever module(s) need to be loaded

I don't know about that, I generally don't use kernel modules for things
that can be compiled into the kernel.

> or do I have to reconfigure the kernel? It seems it should function
> under the soundblaster pcm module, but I'm not having much success.

My MSI 6380 onboard sound works fine with just "device pcm" added to the
kernel config file.  (It's tinny, but that's not the fault of the
driver!)

> Also, if anyone can point me to a good site on kernel configuring, sound
> issues I would appreciate it.

Chapter 14 in the Handbook covers it reasonably well.  It's on the
www.freebsd.org web site.