Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 00:52:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mik Firestone <fireston@lexmark.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Subject:   Re: swap_pager: suggest more swap space

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Mik Firestone wrote:

> I am seeing the message:
>   swap_pager: suggest more swap space: 126MB
> on a frequent bsis and I do not recall having seen that recently.  I am using
> a new kernel that I CVSUP'd yesterday (3.0-CURRENT).
>
> I am curious as to why this message is being generated, is it serious and does
> it mean 126Mb *more* or total?
>
> As I have 131Mb swap already I have a very hard time believing I need 126Mb
> more.  Of course, if I already have 131Mb, I already have 126Mb don't I?  Oh -
> swapinfo tells me I have 84Mb available.

Hm, I'm wondering if a variable is rolling over then.  The message appears
in src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c, function swap_pager_getswapspace():

static int
swap_pager_getswapspace(object, amount, rtval)
        vm_object_t object;
        unsigned int amount;
        daddr_t *rtval;
{
        unsigned location;

        vm_swap_size -= amount;
        if (!suggest_more_swap && (vm_swap_size < btodb(cnt.v_page_count *
PAGE_SIZE))) {
                printf("swap_pager: suggest more swap space: %d MB\n",
                        (2 * cnt.v_page_count * (PAGE_SIZE / 1024)) /
1000);
                suggest_more_swap = 1;
        }

[...]

cnt.v_page_count or vm_swap_size may be rolling over.  You can disable
this by either #ifdef'ing it out or setting suggest_more_swap = 1 before
this block.

I'll pass this on to John Dyson, or VM guru, for further analysis.

> PS - Why, when I search on swap_pager, via your Web page, does it seem to be
> replacing the underscore with a space?  I got a lot of hits on swap, and a few
> more hits on pager, but nothing I could see on swap_pager.

Could be an interpolation bug.  Try escaping the _ with a \: \_

> PPS - How do I CC: any replies, discussion, etc such that it will be
> stored in the archives?

Most mail readers do this automatically; just make sure the reply ends up
on the list.  Pine does this, see my header.