Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 11:48:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        mdukhan@bis.co.il (Meir Dukhan)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Enabling KTRACE option

Meir Dukhan writes:
> Hi,
>
> I built a new kernel (2.1.6) with options KTRACE enabled, because I
> wanted to be able to trace some processes.
>
> But now, it take a long time (120-150 seconds) to reboot, and sometimes
> telnet'ing it from a another machine in our net, don't work.
>
> What could be the cause of this ?

Not KTRACE, anyway.

> If I want to reboot and load my precedent kernel, is all I have to do is
> to give /kernel.old at boot prompt ? (I can't try now, because ppl here
> need mail and telnet).

Check the names you have in /.  Anything startin with /kernel should
be bootable.

As to the other problem: is the boot just slow from start to finish,
or does it hang at some point?  If so, where?  I frequently see
problems like this with DNS queries.  Are you running named?

Greg