Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:00:09 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Aaron <click46@webpimps.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: So lets say you *didnt* use mergemaster...

In the last episode (Oct 16), Aaron said:
> Ignorance is bliss isnt it?
>
> I've noticed that just about any FreeBSD user I talk to uses
> mergemaster after building the world. Well I didnt. And it works fine
> [its a HLDS server] but this has me worried. What log term effects
> will my stupidity have? I know mergemaster updates config files - but
> this server has only a few things changed from the default, so should
> I just go for it now?

If you don't use Mergemester, your /etc will never get updated.  On
STABLE this isn't too much of a problem, as you simply won't get
enhancements that are made to startup scripts, etc.  On -CURRENT, it
could cause your system to not boot correctly if binaries have changed
location and /etc/rc.* is still looking for them in the old places.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com