Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 02:48:04 +0100
From:      "mouss" <usebsd@free.fr>
To:        "Joe Park" <joepark@uclink4.berkeley.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: questions on sendmail

Joe Park wrote

> I'm guessing FreeBSD can do and much more what MSWin is doing.
no, it doesn't do more, it does well. (among other things, it doesn't crash
more.
it rarely crashes) :->

> If I send mail to local without domain (mail
> loginname < message), it sends properly.  When I add my domain
> name from my ISP, it doesn't work.

what do you mean exactly?
do you want sendmail to handle emails to "*@foo.isp.domain" as local mails
(thus, putting them in
users mailboxes)? then, you either have to configure the box hostname to be
part of the domain in question
or do it otherwise, such as adding the domain to sendmail.cw.

> is it possible to check multiple email accounts?

you mean to read email from multiple accounts. that depends on mail user
agents. netscape can only handle one pop account,
so you would need to run many instances (using many users!)!!!
alternativey, you can use programs/scripts to get all your emails and put
them in your local mailbox (try fetchmail).
[the problem is that when you send an email, only the adress configured on
the mail user agent is used. that may be
undesirable]. there may be other agents with better capabilities, however.

> One more thing.  I wasn't going to register a domain until I have
> some free
> time to design my web site, but it seems like registering one
> will make my
> life with FreeBSD more easier.  (Currently I just put my ISP's domain for
> my FreeBSD).  Is it good idea?  How do I relate this to my ISP?  I read
> that I need to talk to ISP to add my domain into their DNS, is that
> right?

yes, otherwise, people won't "see" you!

>How about if I install my own DNS ...What does that
> accomplish?  Don't I need at least two DNS servers to register
> domain?

you need a primary and a secondary server. you can ask your ISP to be your
secondary and put the primary on your box.
this way, you won't need to make phone calls to add new names/addresses or
modify old ones.

>What's that all about?

the purpose is to ensure that one servr will be responding for DNS requests
to you domain.
since this is impossible, they choosed to impose the "best practice"
consisting of using two servers,
thus minimizing the chances that both will be down (if they are both down,
then there are certainly other problems anyway)

> I'm sorry for asking too many basic questions at one time.
> Please SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGES, and help a lost soul.

lost souls are those running "unnamed" systems.

hope this helps,

mouss