Date:      10 Mar 2001 11:40:43 -0800
From:      scott@sawilson.org
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: retail linux quake3arena, freebsd 4.3 beta

Nevermind!

   I finally found some 3dfx glide drivers by doing an ftpsearch. In case anyone else has been enduring this, I found them here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/peanut/pkgs/3DFX-GLIDE/

the file you want is:

Glide_V2-3.01.tar.bz2

I did this:

mv Glide_V2-3.01.tar.bz2 /tmp
cd /tmp
bunzip2 Glide_V2-3.01.tar.bz2
cd /usr/compat/linux
tar xvf /tmp/Glide_V2-3.01.tar
/usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig

That gets it installed.
I then ran the test programs in /usr/compat/linux/usr/local/glide.
Worked like a charm.

There doesn't appear to be a single correct document out there for getting the voodoo2 working under freebsd. They are all outdated, or point to http://linux.3dfx.com to get the driver. This site is gone gone gone. Also, most of them refer to Glide_V2-2.53-x when version 3.01 would appear to be more recent. I'm going to put a doc up on http://sawilson.org, and a copy of the glide file since the sites that have it appear to dry up fast. I'd assume there would be a lot of interest in using the voodoo2 since it's still faster than most of the more expensive cards using utah-glx. A /usr/port/graphics/linux-voodoo2 port would probably be pretty easy to do. I"m assuming there is some legal or etiquette reason that this doesn't already exist. I'll probably whip one up for download, and spam the list when it's done.
Please shoot me mail if you have any questions.

On Sat, 10 March 2001, scott@sawilson.org wrote:

> lo there,
>

>       I swear at some point I had q3test working under freebsd 4.0 with my voodoo2 card. The day the full retail version came out, I tried in vain for about a week to get it working and gave up. I've decided to try again. I started out with a google search, and only turned up documentation for using the utah-glx drivers with non-voodoo cards. I'm hoping that someone has this working with 4.3-beta and a voodoo2 and can shed some light on this. I noticed 3dfx's site is gone. I was going to try to get the latest voodoo2 linux rpm, and use rpm2cpio to install it with linux-glide. I'm 3 days into this and pulling my rapidly disappearing hair out at this point. If there is a good doc online that covers using a voodoo2 card with freebsd and the full retail version of linux quake3arena, that would rule. I'll be damned if I could find it. If someone has the full retail version working with the latest stable and a voodoo2 card, please let me know what the magic dance is I have to do to get it working. If I'm screwed and I have to use the utah-glx and get a new card, that's fine. I was about to do that anyway. :) I plan on getting the best card I can for the upcoming Doom3 release. This is just to pass the time until that does happen and this list is flooded with questions about doom3. :)
>
> PS: what is the current badass card for 3d gaming under freebsd?
>
> Thanks In Advance
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Scott Alan Wilson
> http://sawilson.org