Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 18:27:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Levenberg <richardl@enterprise.ufp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Confused about multiple ip addresses

Dear gurus,

I have a network which is functioning properly except for one problem.

The internal network is using the unassigned numbers 198.162.xxx.xxx and
the FreeBSD box has 198.168.0.100 in /etc/hosts, gateway="YES" in
/etc/sysconfig and the ethernet interface is configured with the address in
/etc/hosts.

The tun device is configured in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf with
set ifaddr my_static_ip isp_gateway_ip

I run ppp -auto -alias isp and everything works just fine.

The only problem is that a lot of applications ( so far emacs and sendmail )
cause ppp to dial the isp when I am not trying to do anything other than
local operations.  just mailing to a local user causes the dialup.  When
looking at /var/log/maillog it says:

sendmail[201]: gethostbyaddr() failed for my_static_ip

1) Why does sendmail even care about the other address for local operations?
2) How do I resolve this?  Can I put two entries in /etc/hosts with the
same name?  The output from hostname is the current entry in /etc/hosts
and my_static_ip resolves to some strange name my ISP gives me.

BTW the output of netstat -rn is:
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            isp_gateway_ip     UGSc        0       10      tun0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          1        2       lo0
192.168            link#2             UC          0        0
192.168.0.100      127.0.0.1          UGHS        0        2       lo0
isp_gateway_ip     my_static_ip       UH          1      119      tun0
224/4              link#2             UCS         0        0

TIA for any help you may be able to offer.
richardl