Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 20:21:43 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Robin Hall" <rob33_me@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE:Modem  device not configured

You are in a hole caused by very poor management of FBSD change control. At
4.0 a change was allowed in to stop a conflict between isa and pci internal
modem hardware probing. This change for all purposes closed the door for pci
internal modems. There used to be the pnp, setserial, and pnpinfo commands
which allowed you to hack around the isa prob results to get a pci internal
modem to work. Now all that is deactivated and pci modems users are left out
in the cold. Maybe if enough people write problem reports this will get
fixed. One would think that 2 years would have been enough time to get this
fixed since 4.0 came out.  If your modem is a isa modem then you should be
able to get it working following the FAQ at this url.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#PNP-N
OT-FOUND