Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:57:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD MAIL <freebsdq@mauibuilt.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: "dangerously dedicated"

Please copy FreeBSD-questions on follow up messages.

On Wednesday, 12 April 2000 at  5:42:54 -1000, FreeBSD MAIL wrote:
>> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]

>>> In short: Normally a disk consists of up to 4 primary partitions (or
>>> three primary and one extended, which can contain infinately many
>>> extended partitions). A table at the beginning of the disk has space
>>> for four pointers to these four regions on disk. A dangerously
>>> dedicated disk ignores this table and starts using the disk from its
>>> very beginning, as a result of this you cannot afterwards repartition
>>> your disk to make space for (shudder) windows. This works all right
>>> for FreeBSD: If you have no intention of installing anything but
>>> FreeBSD on it then go straight ahead with 'dangerously dedicated'.
>>>
>>> You can still erase the entire disk and partition it with dos's fdisk
>>> later if you want - but you'll lose the your FreeBSD installation
>>> then.
>>
>> This is a frequently cited reason, but when you think about it, it
>> doesn't make much sense: even if the disk has a Microsoft partition
>> table, if you assign the entire disk to FreeBSD, you can repartition,
>> but you'll lose the FreeBSD installation.
>
> Quick question on this supject (sorta related).
>
> I notice that with the option "Dagerously Dedicated" using the
> entire drive for FreeBSD I notice that fdisk (sysinstall) does not
> give the option to install the boot manager..
>
> What if I have another drive on the system that I want to boot?

If it's a different operating system, you'll need a Microsoft
partition table.  Otherwise you can put it in /boot/loader.conf or
tell it interactively at the boot prompt.

> I dont belive "Dangerously Dedicated" should effect the MBR as to
> not allow the boot manager should it?

Yes, it must.  The MBR *is* the Microsoft partition table.  Without
it, there's no MBR.

Greg