Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:17:10 -0800
From:      "M. Brownsworth" <mdb@primelogic.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ucspi-unix compile problems

I'm having a problem compiling ucspi-unix-0.36 on the new mail host
I'm configuring to run qmail.  Although its sister program,
ucspi-tcp-0.88, compiled just fine, ucspi-unix's compile bombs due to
a missing library:

su-2.05b# make
( echo '#!/bin/sh'; echo 'main="$1"; shift'; echo exec `head -1
conf-ld` '-o "$main" "$main.o" ${1+"$@"}' -lsysdeps; ) >load
chmod 755 load
( echo '#!/bin/sh';  echo 'source=$1; shift';  echo 'base=`echo
"$source" | sed -e s:\\\\.c$::`';  echo exec `head -1 conf-cc` '-I.
-o ${base}.o -c $source ${1+"$@"}';  ) >compile
chmod 755 compile
./compile unixclient.c
./compile env.c
env.c:4: sysdeps.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/local/src/ucspi-unix-0.36.

So it can't find sysdeps.h.  A locate can't seem to come up with one,
either.  A Google search using "ucspi-unix," "sysdeps," and "freebsd"
turns up empty.  What the heck is the sysdeps library and why don't I
have it?  (Or why does ucspi-unix need it?)

According to my understanding, vmailmgr, the password authentication
module I plan to use with qmail and courier-imap, needs ucspi-unix.
Specifically, it needs a program named "unixserver" (compiled with
ucspi-unix), which is used to start vmailmgrd:

/usr/bin/unixserver /tmp/.vmailmgrd /usr/local/sbin/vmailmgrd \
2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger &

I'm not sure if something else, perhaps ucspi-tcp, can substitute.
In fact, given the huge thrash involved in installing qmail and its
myriad of support programs, I'm not sure of much anything at this
point.

If you have an answer to this problem, please cc me when you post, as
I'm not a member of the list.

Here are my system specs:

su-2.05b# uname -a
FreeBSD apache.willamette.net 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #1: Thu
Jan  9 10:02:57 PST 2003
michelle@apache.willamette.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/APACHE  i386

.\\ichelle