Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 08:27:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Caldera & why we should get Linux compat working 100%

[thread xfer'ed to chat]

> >>When Linux has a word processor, spreadsheet, and database that is as
> >>user friendly as the offerings from MSoft and the like, it will have a
> >>chance of becoming popular.  Until then, it's a sideshow.

	popular ??

	i dont know if we want to be 'popular'.   a good unix system is
like a chainsaw.    you can do a lot with it very easily, including
removing your own leg.   imagine a user-friendly chain saw:  hide the
chain behind a retractable guard, quiet the engine, paint in a nice
bright color, and watch some poor unsupecting fella hurt himself. ;((

	i can not concieve of a 'user-friendly' system that preserves the
power of unix with out either 'do you really want to ...' messsages or
many users hurting themselves.

	this is not to say that a sysadmin tool is not welcome; it is.

	is user-friendly unix just as oxymoronic as a 'you dont have to
pay attention' chain saw ??

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346