Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:50:50 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        <jps@funeralexchange.com>, <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /lib/libpthread.so.0: No such file or directory. Errors with Linux Jdk1.4.0.1 & Resin or Tomcat

On Friday 23 August 2002 05:56pm, Jeremy Suo-Anttila wrote:

> I would be more then willing to be a guinea pig and test out the new 1.4
> native if anyone was willing to give me the source to build. Also i will
> not be running this application on FreeBSD much longer since it looks like
> we will have to move to a Solaris 9 platform and take adavantage of its
> native 1.4 jdk. I was just hoping i could do this all with FreeBSD and not
> have to shell out the money for Sun hardware and OS. Hopefully FreeBSD will
> have better java support near future and i can keep on using it.

I understand.  You don't have to buy Sun hardware though.  Sun releases
Solaris x86, and you can get the same official, native 1.4.x SDK's for that
platform without reinvesting in new hardware.

Not that I'm advocating switching platforms, mind you.  :)  Given your current
situation, though -- you're pigeonholed into needing 1.4.x for production
services.  So with that, possible interim solutions:

  (a)  Living with the current "stress failure" situation with the 1.4 SDK
while waiting and testing new port versions, and future native-build ports of
the 1.4.x SDKs on FreeBSD.

  (b)  Switch to Solaris or Linux temporarily while the wrinkles with 1.4 get
sorted out on FreeBSD.  Then come back to us when our Release Notes indicate
that the SDK should be stable.

If you think your services will run acceptably under the current scenario for
a while, stick with (a).    Platform changes are painful, and nobody here
wants to lose a good FreeBSD user... however temporary that might be.  We
appreciate you working with us.

Cheers,
--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]