Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:55:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPPoE thru Cisco 675/USWest ADSL

Is there some special configuration required to use PPPoE through a Cisco
675 to USWest's ADSL service?

The service works fine when I setup the 675 to make the PPP connection.

However, I'd rather do PPPoE from my FreeBSD server to do some interesting
firewalling and NAT things.  I assume to do this that the 675 should be
setup in bridging mode; I have been using the command "set bridging
rfc1483 enabled" to attempt to get it to bridge the PPPOE frames.

With the 675 in bridging mode, though, the PPPOE frames do not seem to be
forwarded through the 675.  After I give the "dial" command to ppp (which
has been configured based on the clear example in
/usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample, "stats bridging" shows that no
frames have been bridged.  "tcpdump -e -n" shows the outgoing PPPOE
packets and they look fine...

Any ideas would be welcome.  Thanks!

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer