Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:59:31 +0400 (GST)
From:      Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Doubled files or directories on samba.

Hi,

> Hello,
>
> I have some strange behavior with some files and some directories
> being doubled on samba. When checking on freebsd file system all is
> OK. Mounting partitions on windows clients or connecting with
> smbclient would show some doubled files or directories. I mean the
> same file appear twice. When deleting one from windows both disappear
> but copying back the file from backup, again I have 2 files with the
> same name.
>
> smb: \> ls DATA\RON\E*
>  EURO.XG0                            A     4096  Wed Jan 23 14:58:44 2008
>  EURO.XG0                            A     4096  Wed Jan 23 14:58:44 2008
>
> First I've upgraded samba to the latest port version (samba-3.0.28,1) - no joy.
>
> I've made a jail (maybe the ports are messed?) only with samba. Same result.
>
> I've source upgraded to 6.3-RELEASE. Nice but didn't solve the problem.
>
> The system was stable and I cannot relate any software maintenance
> with the beginning of this behavior.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Is this the case for all your shared folders? I found this thread with no
answers
(http://fixunix.com/samba/328376-samba-duplicate-filename-samba-3-0-28-a.html)
where the problem hapens for a specific share and that too with a specific
file.

Have you tried this with a default config file? Or say one with minimal
changes?

Since when did this problem begin happening? Any extra info you can find
in the logs?

I've used Samba 3.0.25-28 on FreeBSD 6.2 and 6.3 but haven't encountered
such a problem. Maybe you could add some stuff ''case sensitive = no'' and
''preserve case = yes'' to see if the file name case is making any
difference. Just a shot in the dark, actually.

Regards,
Rakhesh

---
http://rakhesh.net/