Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 16:17:12 -0700
From:      Bengt Richter <bokr@accessone.com>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggested adendum to FAQ section 3.22

At 12:36 2001-04-15 -0700, you wrote:
>Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se> writes:
> > Problem discussion:

[...]
I understand where you're coming from with this, but I don't think
>it's appropriate to try to document every possible mode of failure.
>That's sort of like documenting the fact that the network cable must
>be plugged in in order for this stuff to work!  If we did that, we'd
>be too busy changing all of the questions with the latest way to break
>the system instead of writing new and more useful documents.
>
>The answer attempts to describe the most common solution to the stated
>problem as derived from reading -questions.  It can't possibly mention
>every single thing that could go wrong, and mentioning just some of
>the more obscure things isn't going to help anything.  I understand
>that it might help a few other people, but I simply don't think it's
>worth it.

My preference as a documentation consumer is to have separately placed
info for my three most common types of access: (1) quick reference, best
satisfied with cookbook examples of the two or three most common
usage patterns, followed by concise explanations in case I don't immediately
see what I needed; the best man pages do this, (2) looking for something
normal, but more obscure, needing a complete exposition of normal usage,
with minimal error info; again the best man pages do this,
and (3) troubleshooting mode, where the subject is not normal operation,
but exceptions, and looking for a clue as to what happened. This is the
kind of material you are talking about, right?

As with programs, perhaps documentation can benefit by moving exception
stuff out of the way of the normal stuff?

(1) is why I like reference cards that fit in your shirt pocket, or equiv.
(2) is why I like non-tutorial, concise, well-indexed, orderly manuals,
especially the slim-volume types.
(3) could be a separate document, a well-indexed collection of pitfall
descriptions. Even a file of (long) one-liners that could be grepped for
pitfall avoidance hints could be useful. People could add a line whenever
they fell into something unpleasant.
(4) (added right here before your eyes) is the tutorial intro and exercises
category.

oops, gotta run...
Regards,
Bengt Richter