Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:47:39 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Marc Espie <Marc.Espie@liafa.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pointer to people `in charge' of FreeBSD make ?

In message <20000801164216.A14226@liafa1.liafa.jussieu.fr> Marc Espie writes:
: I'm currently over-hauling OpenBSD make.

Yippie.  The *BSD makes have drifted badly and are all in need of some
cleanup, some moer so than others.  I think it would be in everybody's
best interest to figure out some way to merge the source bases.  I'll
be happy to work with people on doin gthi.s

: During my investigations, I've stumbled upon an oddity of the way
: VPATH works.

Eeek.  I'm going to run in terror now :-)  I never know if teh dark
corners of VPATH are intentional, or just an artifact of a sloppy
implenentation.

: Currently, what I'm interested in is collaboration: this changes the
: semantics of make slightly, in a non-obvious way. If OpenBSD
: performs the change in a dark corner, we'll be able to accept
: Makefiles that other BSD* may complain about.  Spewing a `warning,
: non standard feature used' is always possible, but it would be
: better if we could agree on a common plan...

Agreed.  I've been working on pulling in the NetBSD and OpenBSD
changes to make(1) as I run into problems, but the project would take
far more time than I have right now :-(.

Warner