Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:26:16 -0600
From:      Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
To:        User questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   hangs instead of reboots on HP s3220n

I have an HP s3220n which will boot just fine, but won't reboot.

I noticed this first with the OEM Vista that I played with for a bit
before starting to install FreeBSD, but didn't pay much attention to
it then.

Now when I do a

    shutdown -r now

I get a proper shutdown with the last line on the console saying

   Rebooting

The power stays on, but the machine just hangs at that point.

I looked through BIOS settings and all that I found that was possibly
meaningful was to reboot after power failure, which I've enabled.  But
that doesn't help.

Although I think that the problem is well before the OS plays any
role, the system is running 7.0 Beta 4.  This happened with the
GENERIC amd64 kernel as well as with my custom one.

This machine will be tucked away in a closet and I don't want to hold
the power switch to get it to reboot.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  And if I didn't provide enough
information, just let me know what y'all need.

Cheers,

-j