Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 14:04:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        giqu@hotmail.com (Giap Vu)
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall fails from telnet [Was: Root user can't login]

Giap Vu wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >    I try to telnet my FreeBSD computer from a Windows 95 using the
> root
> > account and get the message "Login incorrect."  I wonder if this is

I answered:
> Change the pty lines in /etc/ttys from lines like this:
> 	ttyp0   none                    network
> To lines like this:
> 	ttyp0   none                    network secure
> Then send a HUP to init:
> 	kill -HUP 1

New problem:

> This works perfectly without having to su root.  However when I try, for
> example, change the IP address by typing /stand/sysinstall; I get
> the installation screen. But when I choose the "Configure" option by
> using the arrow key, FreeBSD exits to the prompt.  Try access by typing
> c, there's nothing happens.  Try other options I get same result.

Hmm. this is troubling. I can imagine two sources of problems.
In the previous message, I really intended to imply that /all/
the ttyXX lines be made secure. Perhaps sysinstall is using more
than one pty? This doesn't sound very likely to me.

Another possibility is that the terminal emulation that the W95 uses
is somehow wrong, and the "curses" interface of sysinstall is unhappy
with it.

After loggin in to the BSD box, what does BSD think your terminal
is?  (echo $TERM)

I don't have a w95 machine to try to duplicate your problem with, sorry.
Using telnet to a FreeBSD machine seems to work fine with the setup
I have.

When logging into the BSD box, does the vi editor work as expected?
That is a good test of terminal emulation.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net