Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:09:19 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

At 09:28 AM 10/28/98 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Tuesday, 27 October 1998 at 17:53:09 -0500, Drew Baxter wrote:

>>> Good point.  This would also include documentation on how to install
>>> for FreeBSD, as well as any special things needed ("In order to run
>>> YoyoFloop on your FreeBSD system, you must have installed the Linux
>>> emulator").  But I don't think it should be a condition of
>>> certification ("Certified at class 2 for use with FreeBSD" :-)
>>
>> Well one of the good things is, you could place the linux emulator onto the
>> install media (if it was cd anyway) or any required software, namely the
>> version that was the most recent (and known to work) with the product.
>
>Yes, but is it known to work with the (unknown) version of FreeBSD the
>user is running?  I think this is probably a bad idea; a better one
>would be an installer that checks for the presence of the emulator and
>tells the user what to do if it can't fix it itself.  For example, if
>it finds the emulator lkm, it could load it; if it can't find the lkm,
>it can check for the sources and compile it; if it can't find that, it
>can check if there's a net connection to FreeBSD.org; if there isn't,
>it gives up.

Yeah that'd work too.  The only reason why I brought up the whole required
software issue, is because of people (such as me) that are using a laptop
running FreeBSD, or another type of equipment that has no network
connection.   While my primary box does (and it runs incredibly well, but
I've been through that), my laptop hasn't seen a net connection since the
initial installation.

>> What would be kinda cool would be a webboard (users helping users, or
>> something like that) to take load off of the support services.  At the same
>> time, this would promote new products by adding them to the list (Oh I
>> didn't know Quattro Pro was for FreeBSD! kinda thing)..
>
>Well, yes, Wes suggested a web site in the original message of this
>subthread.  Are you thinking of more?

First I need to remember not to sleep during the day, but that's another
story :).

Sort of.  The issue was originally "the load on support services (namely
Corel at the time)".  That could be alleviated in some form by providing a
web board with a path.  I.e. /Software/Word Processing/Corel Wordperfect 8.
 Support services could be designed for support of particular Hardware
(I.e. Brooktree cards, which are already supported) too.

A Works-With-FreeBSD logo on an Etherlink XL, yeah that'd be pretty cool.

>Greg
>--
>See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
>finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998