Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 09:58:37 -0500
From:      Dutch <treecat@charm.net>
To:        "freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Not sure - routd vs. gated

Intro: Ignore the word Linux in the title of the book. It is a very
good
book on networking and it starts from "noclue" and goes up from there.
I like
it so far.

1) I am reading, Linux Network Admin. Guide, by Kirch [o'reilly, 1995]
and the following statement was presented to the reader - topic is
"The Routing Table"
in the TCP/IP gateway section (the double quotes mark what is italic
in the book);

    begin quote from text[page 23&25]:
        We are now focusing our attention on how IP chooses a gateway
        to use when delivering a datagram to a remote network. . . .

        . . . Depending on the size of the network, different routing
        protocols will be used. For routing inside autonomous systems
        (such as Groucho Marx campus), the "internal routing
protocols"
        are used. The most prominent one is RIP, the "Routing
Information
        Protocol", which is implemented by BSD "routed" daemon. For
        routing between autonomous systems, "external routing
protocols"
        like EGP ("External Gateway Protocol"), or BGP ("Border
Gateway
        Protocol") have to be used; these (as well as RIP) have been
        implemented in the University of Cornell's "gated" daemon.* .
. .

        . . . * "routed" is considered broken by many people. Since
"gated"
        supports RIP as well, it is better to use that instead.
     end quote from text

2) My question is, routed is broken? how? What if I have no need to
connect to an outside network. Use gated anyway? Maybe I am missing
the point and there is no mountain here, just a molehill.

-dutch