Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:50:07 +0530
From:      "murthy kn" <knmurthy30@hotmail.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Understanding fxp driver

Hello,

Am trying to playaround and understand the Intel NIC fxp driver and it would
be of help if you driver-gurus can please clarify a couple of points.

I understand that Tx DMA size is 128.

1. what parameter exactly determines how many packets the NIC
sends before interrupting the Host Cpu after transmit (assuming
no packet is received).

2. Does the NIC interrupt the Host cpu on each packet reception?

If so, how are packets that are put into the RFA (while the
CPU is busy processing the current interrupt) notified -
(my understanding is the "rcvloop" in fxp_intr will automatically
take care of this - is it correct?).

3. What is the exact role of tx_threshold

4. Suppose I want to make the NIC interrupt the cpu for each packet,
if I just reduce the Tx DMA length to 2-power-0, i.e,1, will it work?

Thanks a lot for your time.

       Murthy