Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 13:15:55 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Logs stopped

At 10:56 AM 5.29.2002 -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

>Jack L. Stone wrote:
>
>> Using FBSD 4.5-RELEASE
>>
>> About an hour ago, several of my critical logs stopped... messages,
>> security and FTPD. I've tried resetting the logs by trimming with the usual
>> newsyslog. That didn't work Then restarted/rehashed syslog and still
>> nothing logged...
>>
>> What is likely to have caused this....???? I don't really want to
reboot....

>Make sure you have a proper line feed at the EOF. I had a + left over
>from when I copied the text instead of letting mergemaster merge the
>fixes. The last character in /etc/newsyslog.conf was a left over + and
>it would not log.
>
>Kent
>

>> .... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Jack L. Stone
>> Server Admin
>--
>Kent Stewart
>Richland, WA

Kent: Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I have that problem. I haven't
messed with the newsyslog.conf file for a while and all logs have been
working fine untial an hour ago. In fact, all of the logs didn't stop, just
those three.... maillog for instance was still chugging along. very
strange.... it is possible that some of the trimming all hit at once and
did something, but I thought the rehash of the syslog would take care of
it....

I monitor my logs constantly and especially those that quit. So, dadblast
it, I rebooted and now all works again.... this is a production box with
pretty heavy web traffic, so reboots... not very polite thing to do.....