Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:42:51 +0100
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Which software?

At 23:59 Uhr +0100 21.09.1999, Andrew Boothman wrote:
>On 19-Sep-99 Haikal Saadh wrote:
>> I was just wondering, which software would you consider 'must have's?
>> For starters, there's bash, xwindows and the mtools...
>> What software can you absolutely not do without?
>
>I like XFMail as an e-mail client, and I usually install apache and MySQL so I
>can muck about with a bit of database-based CGI stuff.
>
>I think it's difficult, if not impossible, to give other people advice on what
>software to install. I think it's best to just experiment with what's in the
>ports collection and out on the Internet. I've got loads of stuff installed
>that I knew nothing about, and certainly didn't know I wanted, when I first
>came to FreeBSD.

I have no experiences with MySQL, or SQL in general, and my email is old
PINE, which works also with X, but when it comes to Multimedia, there is
GIMP !!

Gimp is some kind of Photoshop replacement, one can make incredible
animated background gifs, it wasnt on my 3.1 CD, but you can get it from
one of the 3.2 collections, ftp, and it tells you, what it wants as
additional software. Around 6 MB. IMHO a must, if you like this kind of
things.

There is a "multimedia page", that I havent seen yet,because I am not at
home...
at: http://xanim.pubnix.va.com/.

But "your mileage may vary",

Heiko