Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:11:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donnie Jones <donniejones18@yahoo.com>
To:        Lorin Lund <wbs@infowest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ping says 'Permission Denied'

www.freebsddiary.org
and the freebsd manual have great information on
setting up a "gateway" for freebsd.  It's as easy as
going to www.google.com/bsd and searching for gateway.

Also.

Make sure you have these lines in your /etc/rc.conf
(maybe not exactly, but close) :

gateway_enable="YES"
ipnat_enable="YES"
ipnat_rules="/etc/ipnat.conf"
ipfilter_enable="YES"
ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf.rules"
inetd_enable="YES"
ipv6_enable="YES"

You also need to have information in the ipnat.conf
such as:

map fxp0 192.168.0.0/16 -> 0.0.0.0/32 portmap tcp/udp
40000:65000
map fxp0 192.168.0.0/16 -> 0.0.0.0/32

Change the "fxp0" to whatever your device that
connects to the outside world.

As for "ipf.rules" you can leave it blank which leaves
the firewall open.  The permission denied from your
'ping' is probably b.c the firewall is not enabled as
open.

-Donnie  :)