Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:04:15 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        <fcash@bigfoot.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Freddie writes:

> And all the things they did wrong with version
> 4 (like pull the graphics into the Kernel,
> thus breaking the whole concept of the HAL).

I remember that well, and it worried me a lot.  But Microsoft desperately wanted
to improve the performance of graphics on NT (for games and things), and it
wanted to transplant a lot of cruddy 9x code into NT to give it the same look
and feel without spending too much money, so the changes were made.  It did
taint the OS--and more significantly, it made the OS less suitable as a server.
There's a certain cognitive dissonance in Microsoft wanted to position NT as a
server, even as it destabilizes the platform to make it work more like a
desktop.  Windows 2000 and XP apparently went even further in the desktop
direction.  I guess MS still doesn't understand that you can't have an OS that
does _both_ of these things optimally.

> Are you beholden to the application, or the
> task the application performs?  There is a *very*
> big difference.

Often to the application itself, because of the need to exchange data with
others.  If only results counted, I'd have a lot more flexibility.

> [aside, this has happened many times throughout
> this thread.  i no longer know which side Anthony
> is arguing, each message is different]

Perhaps your misconception is in believing that I'm "arguing a side."

> It wasn't until a few years ago that they changed
> it to Microsoft.  Thus, it is not incorrect to
> capitalise the middle S.

Unless you are speaking in a specific historical context, trademarks should be
spelled as given by their owners.