Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:27:14 +0200
From:      Barry Irwin <bvi@devco.net>
To:        "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forwarding ftp requests using natd

On Wed 2001-03-07 (01:07), G. Jason Middleton wrote:

> here is how my network is set up
>
> running natd of course
>
> internet ip is on de0  65....
> internal ip is on dc0 192.168.0.1
>
> the ftp server is 192.168.0.200
>
> how do i forward outside requests to the ftp server?
>
> I have tried natd -redirect_port tcp 10.0.0.2:23 23 -interface pe0
> using my own ip address of course but i go the following error
>
> natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use

Have you got another natd already listening/running ?
Remember you need to use ipfw rules to pass packets to natd (man ipfw)
Also the port you need is port 21 (ftp-command) rather than 23 (telnet). Be
aware tho that there are some problems with running an ftp server behind a
natd, in that if the client is also behind a nat box/firewall, they will not
be able to connect due to the issues involved in active/passive opens.

The best solution I have found is to run a ftp gateway on the firewall box.
This allows for full active/passive connections, with the minimum of fuss.
have a look at jftpgw http://www.mcknight.de/jftpgw/

Barry